Thursday, December 5, 2013

You Are Going to Fail

       New Years Day is quickly approaching. It's about that time to start figuring out which resolutions you'd like to make and fail at next year. Whether it's promising to work out more, spend more time with the fam or to finally get out of debt, I'm here to tell you that you're more than likely going to fail. Its OK. Those things are hard. Maybe next year, pal.

  Let me tell you about one of my past resolutions. Believe it or not, I use to be a smoker. I started smoking cigarettes when I was about 15. I don't really remember why. I guess all the cool kids were doing it. After nearly a decade of being a full fledged, couple packs a week smoker, I started really believing I was going to get cancer if I continued. I would lay in bed almost every night dreading the day I would get the news and thinking about how it would change my life or how much life I had left. I knew it was past time to quit but I just didn't think I could do it.

I decided to finally grow some balls and test my will power. This years New Years resolution: quit smoking. NYE came and went and I continued to smoke. Every delicious puff was tainted with guilt. I was disappointed in myself. My birthday was only a few days away so I decided that the best gift I could give myself would be the gift of health. I talked to my best friend about it, sharing my worries of turning into a total bitch monster during withdrawals. That's when she said it. "You're probably going to fail. It's really hard."

Instead of letting that derail me, I used it as my motivation. I was going to SHOW her that I could do it. I didn't care if others had failed before, I was going to do it. My birthday came and I didn't quit. I was now EVEN MORE GUILTY! Two days later, the moment came. I was out of smokes and refused to buy anymore. I have to admit, the first few months were terrible. All the triggers like driving or eating were tough to overcome. This January will be two years. That's why I'm telling you that you're probably going to fail. After all, it is really hard.



Photo by Dan Peterson 

No comments:

Post a Comment